One of the first memories I have of my dad as a little girl is watching him shave. I can remember on Saturday nights or Sunday mornings curiously looking on as he filled up the bathroom sink with warm water and lathered up his face with a puff of shaving cream. Sometimes, if I was lucky, I got to pat the cream onto his scruffy face, and I loved how smooth it felt after the event. Because that’s what it was— simple, weekly events that relationship, love, and respect were built upon. An event where I got to spend time just being with my dad.
As Father’s Day approaches I’m reminded of these special times and look forward to whipping up a soothing, homemade batch of shaving cream perfect for all the dads in my life. Homemade gifts are just the best, too, because they say something about both the giver and the receiver. They speak beyond money to time and craftsmanship, sacrifice and care. You just know that it is something special.
This shaving cream recipe is wonderful because it doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, and is both moisturizing and refreshing. It is even perfect for sensitive skin since it’s made without harsh chemicals and will leave Dad’s face feeling smooth, soft, and refreshed. You might even want to start using it yourself—it’s just that good.
Homemade Refreshing Shave Cream
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup shea butter ( or cocoa butter)
- ¼ cup olive, jojoba, or sweet almond oil
- 2 Tbsp liquid castile soap
- 5-6 drops Vitamin E oil (optional)
- 10-20 drops of essential oils in any combination
- Storage container (like a mason jar or similar lidded canister)
Essential Oil Combos:
- Eucalyptus Mint (5 drops lavender, 5 drops eucalyptus, 5 drops peppermint)
- Cedar Eucalyptus (12 drops cedar, 7 drops eucalyptus)
- Rosemary Mint (10 drops rosemary, 5 drops peppermint)
- Melt the coconut oil and shea butter in a double boiler or a small saucepan over low heat. (Cut down on active time by warming the oils in a slow cooker set to low.)
- Once the coconut oil and shea butter have melted to a translucent state, remove from heat and add the olive oil, castile soap, and Vitamin E oil, whisking thoroughly to combine. Once the mixture has cooled slightly, add the essential oils and stir well. (If you prefer a shave cream that includes an exfoliator, add a teaspoon or two of baking soda to the mixture at this time.)
- Refrigerate mixed ingredients in a bowl for at least an hour, or until cooled and solidified.
- Whip the chilled butter mixture with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, transfer to an airtight jar or container, and enjoy. Store in a cool, dark place, or even in the fridge.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.